Conference Co-Chairs were ISPE Board Member Jim Breen, Lead, Biologics Expansion, Janssen Pharmaceuticals, and Jim McGlade, Science Market Leader, BHDP Architecture. Program committee members who helped shape the conference were Mark Butler, Senior Vice President, Integrated Project Services Ltd.; Tony Crincoli, Executive Director, Bristol-Myers Squibb; Richard Fecteau, Vice President, Business Development, SNC-Lavalin; Gert Moelgaard, President, Moelgaard Consulting; and Bob Chew, President/CEO, Commissioning Agents, Inc.
“‘Facilities of the Future’ is one of ISPE’s six Strategic Priorities,” Breen noted. “This conference attracted a global audience from industry, large pharma, CMOs, equipment suppliers, service providers, academia, and government.”
McGlade commented that the conference “provided a wide breadth of valuable content to the attendees over two days. I returned to my ‘day job’ with the following themes resonating in my mind:
- Projected growth of the large-molecule market, necessitating innovation
- Diverse types of collaboration, partnerships, and joint ventures that can increase the probability for success and reduce risk
- Growing investment across the industry in modular, flexible manufacturing
- Innovative approaches often result from combining existing technologies
- Today and tomorrow’s workers must be more agile to sustain the industry’s evolution.”